I photograph people. I attempt to show how they’ve been affected by society, their communities and their surroundings.
I am especially drawn to industry, industrial landscapes and physiognomies. I am increasinglty drawn to their decay.
I am currently working on projects that involve converting still photographs into digital installations, using video, photographs and full 3-d images. Visuals are accompanied with recordings and environmental sounds and musical scores (from composers)
Whilst living in Hong Kong and Japan until 2011, I worked with print media and on several large projects, often related to China’s One Child Polic, as well as industrial and environmental issues. You may see earlier media work here
- Highly Commended, foreign reporter of the year, UK Press Awards – 2011
- First Prize, trafficking of women in China, NPPA (National Press Photographers Association, U.S.) – 2009 – a series environmental portraits of women trafficked in China
- Three First Prizes, Human Rights Press Awards (Asia), related to China’s One Child Policy, between 2007 – 2011
- POYi (Picture Of the Year Int.) Nomination, “World Understanding Award” for One Child Policy, China – 2010
- Named “Media Man of the Year” by Hong Kong Foreign Correspondents Club – 2011
- The Coal Face, 3-d portrait installation (Part of Diffusion 2019), 4th May – 31st May 2019, Shift, Capitol Centre, Cardiff
- The Coal Face, 3-d portrait installation (Part of Diffusion 2019), 4th May – 31st May 2019, The Senedd (Welsh Assembly), Cardiff
- Motor Mouths, Digital Installation, May 2018, The British Motor Museum, Warwickshire, UK
- Remembering Elliot’s Miners, Digital Installation, The Winding House Museum, 2017 – 2018, Wales, UK
- Energy+Notion, Digital Installation, 2016 – 2017, Newbridge Memo, Blackwood Miners Institute, Pontardawe Arts Centre, Wales, UK
- The Soul of Money (part of group exhibit) – DOX Centre for Contemporary Arts, Prague, 2016 (Organ Trading in the Philippines)
- Undercover China – Hong Kong, 2011 (China retrospective)
- Mother of the Disappeared (single portrait), Smithsonian, New York, 2009
- The Panda Factory, Hong Kong, 2008 (Giant Panda Breeding in China)
Work has been widely commisioned and published by newspapers and magazines worldwide including: Stern, Focus, Marian, Paris Match, Le Figaro, Le Point, L’Express, Courier Int, New York Times, L.A. Times, Boston Globe, Time, Newsweek, BusinessWeek, The Economist, The Sunday Times, The Guardian, The South China Morning Post, The Independent Magazine, Marie Claire Magazine (UK, USA, France), El mundo, Life Magazine (Observer), Weekend (Guardian)
I have completed portrait and reportage assignments for many corporations including Air France, Coke, Lloyd’s Register, Mobil-Exxon, Mitsui-Babcock, Chorus Steel and others.