I photograph “everyday people” and how they’ve been affected by society and the communities in which they live. I am especially drawn to industry, industrial landscapes and physiognomies.
My work has recently moved from printed media projects to digital audio-visual projects.
I am currently working on projects that involve converting still photographs into digital installations using time-lapse, 2.5-d parallax and full 3-d scanning of objects, faces and places. Imagery and visuals are accompanied with voice recordings, environmental sounds and music scores (from composers and musicians).
For media work before 2012 click here
- Highly Commended, foreign reporter of the year, UK Press Awards – 2011
- First Prize, trafficking of women in China, NPPA (National Press Photographers Association, U.S.) – 2009 – a series environmental portraits of women trafficked in China
- Three First Prizes, Human Rights Press Awards (Asia), related to China’s One Child Policy, between 2007 – 2011
- POYi (Picture Of the Year Int.) Nomination, “World Understanding Award” for One Child Policy, China – 2010
- Named “Media Man of the Year” by Hong Kong Foreign Correspondents Club – 2011
- The Panda Factory, Hong Kong, 2008 (Giant Panda Breeding in China)
- Mother of the Disappeared (single portrait), Smithsonian, New York, 2009
- Undercover China – Hong Kong, 2011 (China retrospective)
- The Soul of Money (part of group exhibit) – DOX Centre for Contemporary Arts, Prague, 2016 (Organ Trading in the Philippines)
- Energy+Notion, Digital Installation, 2016 – 2017, Newbridge Memo, Blackwood Miners Institute, Pontardawe Arts Centre, Wales, UK
- Remembering Elliot’s Miners, Digital Installation, The Winding House Museum, 2017 – 2018, Wales, UK
- Motor Mouths, Digital Installation, May 2018, permanent display, The British Motor Museum, Warwickshire, UK
Work has been widely commisioned and published by newspapers and magazines worldwide including: Stern, Focus, Marian, Paris Match, Le Figaro, Le Point, L’Express, Courier Int, New York Times, L.A. Times, Boston Globe, Time, Newsweek, BusinessWeek, The Economist, The Sunday Times, The Guardian, The South China Morning Post, The Independent Magazine, Marie Claire Magazine (UK, USA, France), El mundo, Life Magazine (Observer), Weekend (Guardian)
I have completed portrait and reportage assignments for many corporations including Air France, Coke, Lloyd’s Register, Mobil-Exxon, Mitsui-Babcock, Chorus Steel and others.